Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Ever get used to the "same ole thing"?

School is in full swing, it's getting dark out earlier (insert sad face), and the weather is finally bearable! I'm back at Hutch Jr High for the second year and still love it as much as last year. I'm on the same team, teaching the same subject and grade level. While the year started off like a whirlwind, just like last year, I feel like I have a better grasp on it all this year. Granted, I'm still learning new things but I feel like I "get it."

Slone and I just finished a 9 week study on "The Truth Project."  It takes you through multiple journeys and showcases how Christians have been on a steady decline toward giving in to worldly ways. During one session the topic of "comfort" came up. How we in the group were all at a comfortable level in our lives...great jobs, nice homes, reliable cars, great health, etc. I'll never forget Slone speaking up and saying, "It's actually quite scary how well things are going. We literally have nothing to complain about. We are very comfortable in our lives." I thought about that statement the next few mornings on my drive in to school and began praying to be "uncomfortable." My thought was that if we were so comfortable with "things" in our life (house, jobs, cars, etc) then we must not be working for His glory and had become complacent. I remember being scared as I prayed that but I don't want to be complacent and I want to work for the greater good of our community, families, and nation. And sometimes, that means becoming uncomfortable so that His glory can be revealed through you. I knew this was a risky prayer, but I was willing to follow through and give God the glory no matter what.

It was probably about a month later, the day before school started again, that Slone told me that the company he worked for, Texas Power, was being sold and that he would be laid off. "Ok," I thought. "I DID pray to be uncomfortable, but holy cow!" I was so busy at school this day that I didn't fully process it until that weekend. All we knew was that eventually he would be laid off but there wasn't a for sure date at the moment. Since he is (was) a supervisor, he would be one of the last ones there. We talked about how we had prayed to be uncomfortable for His glory and knew that we would keep positive and in prayer about each step of the way. Neither one of us had experienced this before but we were in it together.

Eventually, he got notice that his last day would be the end of September. That bought us about a month to continue praying and try to make the best decision for our family. We always tried to look at the bright side...at least we don't have children, we live frugally and not beyond our means, if we had to sell the house we would make a really good profit from it if needed, etc. But fear never really had a foothold between neither of us. Am I saying that I woke up every day shouting from the rooftops because I was glad that he was getting laid off? No. Have I not had one ounce of worry in me throughout this short journey? Absolutely. But, I am telling you, through praying to become uncomfortable for His glory gave us every bit of confidence and faith we needed to pull through. My friends and family got to see me upset about it at first, then I could share with them the happiness that I knew would come from it. I didn't need to walk the halls of school and church sad because of this circumstance. They could still see a smile on my face and positive outlook to come because that's what I truly believed in.

One night, we sat down and weighed out the options. Slone said he could go straight back into corporate or take this time to finish school. (He's on the 10 year plan for those of you that don't know -ha!) He also suggested taking a leap of faith and coaching instead. I immediately said I would support any decision he made but highly recommended that he take this time to focus on school and becoming a basketball coach. As his wife, I've always known that he's wanted to coach basketball. Texas Power has been a huge crutch for him in taking that leap of faith to find a coaching job. This would be the push that he needed to get out there and finally do what he's always wanted to do. We decided that he would do just that. Focus on school and start looking for coaching positions at private schools (since they don't require state certification).

He had many connections that were more than willing to have coaches call him if they had open positions. He had an interview with PCA and it went very well to say the least. That interview led him to a position he now holds coaching an AAU basketball camp in Ft Worth on Wednesdays and Saturdays. From that same interview came an offer to be assistant coach of the high school basketball team at PCA. Of course he accepted that immediately, but we were a little in the dark about pay. Since he wouldn't be considered on staff since he didn't teach there, we wondered if he'd get paid at all!?

Shortly after accepting, he got a call from a board member at Burton Academy in Arlington. He interviewed with them for a head coach position. He was offered the job on the spot and we were ecstatic! Except, that pay would be $300 A MONTH, and that was only through basketball season. Needless to say we were in full prayer mode, thankful for the interviews but questioning the money aspect of it all. He advised PCA that he had been offered head coach position at Burton and that coach understood. He said that he didn't want Slone to go but he totally understood if he did. Slone still didn't fully accept and before he even made a decision, a friend of the old head coach at Burton filled the position. Thank you, Lord, for closing that door! Decision made. He was going with PCA as assistant coach. PCA said they could pay $300 a month as a stipend but would put him at the top of the substitute list at the school so that he would be making an income. He was totally fine with that as long as he was coaching. At this point, he was so happy that he was now a coach, all aspects of money went out the door for me because I hadn't seen my husband that happy in a long time! I mean just grinning from ear to ear. I told him from the beginning that I wanted him to take this chance to do what he really wanted to do and if that meant taking sacrifices then we would take them together. We are a team and that's just what you do.

PCA head coach advised Slone that there was potential for him to become the 8th grade HEAD basketball coach if the coach from last year wasn't coming back. We prayed about that and hoped that the Lord would open another door for him somewhere else so that Slone could fill the position. That was up in the air for a few weeks, I guess and still no word of if he would show. So, it's been AAU coaching for twice a week now for about a month and an asst coaching position that would begin mid October. We have been resting in that and praying faithfully for God's provision.

Slone's last day at Texas Power was last Thursday, September 26. His first day of substitute teaching was today, October 2. He stood in for a 6th grade bible teacher. I got a text this morning at 11am...

It was hard to make it through the rest of the day without telling everyone I passed in the hall, "Hey, guess what. My husband is the new head basketball coach for 8th grade at PCA." I was beyond happy for him. I cried on the way home after telling my mom because I just don't understand the love that God has for us sometimes. We don't deserve anything He gives us, yet through our faith and belief that He always will take care of us, He so easily lines things right up and drops them in your lap. I love these stories and dream of the day when I can share them with our children if they ever want to give up on something. God will reward your faithfulness!! So, now when people ask, "so what's new with you and Slone?" I don't have to respond with the same thing, "Oh you know, just school and work." I can share all of this goodness!

Our prayer now, is that when basketball season ends at PCA, the AAU travel ball lines right up and he begins coaching that in April. I would LOVE for that to happen because it involves travel, obviously, hence the name. Anyway, if you have hung on and read this post I truly appreciate it. God is at work and we are enjoying the ride. I have always liked plans and consistency and no change or kinks along the way. But you know what? That's out the window now and I want to enjoy IN PEACE what God has in store for my family.

Until next time,
Megan

No comments: