The Faith Pole is, well let's just say, all about having faith! The girls knew I was nervous to do it and so did one of the camp counselors. It was well understood that I would not be going first between myself and the girls. I will be darned if the camp counselor at that pole didn't call me up there first! Well, what was I going to do? Chicken out in front of my girls?! I think not! So, I hopped up and let them harness me in. It probably took me 10 minutes to climb to the top I was so terrified! And that wasn't even the hardest part! When you get to the top, since you are climbing in the opposite direction you jump in, you have to lay on the top of the pole (like, on your stomach) and then twist your body around. THEN, you have to balance yourself, one foot at a time, on top of the pole. Um, please keep in mind it is shaking all the while...I finally did it, however, and was so proud of myself. The girls cheering me on at the bottom were a huge help!
Here's my jump!
The next day when I saw Slone at breakfast I told him what I had done. He couldn't believe it and we decided to go with each other when we had the opportunity. So, here he is!
Camp counselors giving commands for him to yell to them as he climbs and jumps
He went a lot faster than me!
See?!
It might look fun and easy but I tell you, it took a lot of courage to do it! There were many of us that froze at the top and needed a little encouragement to jump ;) What a great obstacle for youth camp that has so many students "jumping into faith!"
No comments:
Post a Comment