From August 26th until yesterday, June 6th, I worked NONSTOP to help 7th graders become better readers, engaged learners, and respectful citizens in the classroom and school. It was the most challenging, yet rewarding thing I've done so far in my life. 12-13 year old are really in a world of their own. At any given moment, the world could end because of a bad breakup or a bad hair day. You remember your teenage years, right? Although at times they drove me absolutely crazy, I honestly miss them already. Not seeing their faces each morning shouting, "Mrs. Starkey!" as they walk toward me in the hall will be hard for the next few months. However, I am excited to see them again in August and to see how they mature over the summer. They will be the "big kids on campus" next year and I've prepped them to be leaders and role models for the new 7th graders I'll be teaching. Over the past 9 months, I have laughed, cried, raised my voice, disciplined, hugged, loved and mentored 110 students and I can't wait to do it again next year.
To say that the school I work for is amazing is an understatement. I have had the most wonderful support system I could have asked for my first year. I can see how God orchestrated all of this to land me where I'm teaching today. I have also made friends with some great girls on campus, too. They are my rock in the workplace and we clung to each other this year and made it!
So, what will I do with my summer you ask. Well, beginning Monday morning, I will be teaching summer school for 8th grade. No, I'm not as crazy as you think. It's only for 11 days and they are half days (yes, I also understand that this doesn't seem like a logical schedule for students that have failed a year of school - let's not go there...).
The good news is, I can blog more now that I actually will have some time on my hands. There is actually a lot to catch you up on so hang in there! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment